Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Basic cookies that can be turned into gorgeous fancy treats by filling with jam or chocolate or dipping into chocolate...or both :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg whites, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Add flour and then vanilla, mixing well.
- If dough seems to soft, add a bit more flour.
- Force through a pastry bag or cookie press fitted with a medium star tip onto baking sheets, making cookies about 3 inches long.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks completely.
- If desired, make sandwich cookies by spreading with jam or melted chocolate, or be truly decadent by making jam filled sandwich cookies and then dipping in chocolate!
This recipe is helping me cure myself of fear of pastry bags. It was a sometimes sticky and frustrating experience, but I managed to shape the cookies. In the end it was almost fun. The cookies themselves are pleasant but do seem to need to be filled or dipped. With practice they could be quite impressive.
These cookies were really simple and quick to make. My whole family enjoyed them. I did have to add a bit more egg white, however, and the cooking time was more like 5 minutes rather than 10. Altogether, a very tasty treat! Thanks for sharing.