1/1 Photo of Cathy's Lasagne
1 hr 10 mins
Based on an old recipe from the 50's called American Lasagne, this uses simple ingredients that were available in any market. You can use swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese. Leave out the mushrooms if you don't like them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 32 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1In large deep skillet or dutch oven, brown beef, onions, and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with some of the salt and pepper. When almost totally browned, add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- 2Add red wine, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings. Stir thoroughly. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and cover with cold water; set aside.
- 5Stir egg into cottage cheese, set aside. Grate or slice cheese, set aside.
- 6Prepare 9” X 13” baking dish with non-stick spray. Spoon some of the oil from the sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- 7Alternate layers of 3 noodles, then 1/3 of cheeses, and then 1/3 of meat sauce. If using 10 noodles, place the extra one in the center layer. Top last layer with grated parmesan.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned on top. If the top is browning too fast, cover loosely with foil and continue baking until done. Allow to cool 15 minutes before cutting.
- 9Makes 12 pieces. Serve with salad and garlic bread.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cathy's Lasagne
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.0
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 537.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 23.0 g