Recipe by Gerry
This Canadian Living recipe perfect for those occasions when a spectacular dessert is called for. Makes for an awesome dessert. Good any time but a perfect dessert for that holiday meal. I was absolutely intimidated the first time making - don't be - for most part it is one of those marvellous make aheads requiring only a quick assembly, the meringue to be made and a few minutes under the broiler. Served with that wonderful fudge sauce which just takes minutes to reheat, you have yourself one terrific dessert to be serving family and friends. I rather suspect you could use a Brownie mix if pressed for time.
Top Review by Dotty2
Fabulous dessert! Served this dessert for Christmas dinner. It was easy to put together with the instructions very clearly written. I baked the cake a few days previous and froze it and made the sauce one day before using it. Taking the cake out of the freezer earlier in the day it was perfect to assemble. I heated the sauce in the microwave. I did use the brandy for flavoring. Everyone loved it and this dessert will grace my table often. I am already getting requests.Perfect for any occasion. Thanks Gerry for a gem of a recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (may use margarine)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or brandy)
ice cream mold
- 4 cups strawberry ice cream, softened (just enough to allow you to spoon it into the bowl)
- fudge sauce, MAKE AHEAD AND REFRIGERATE
- 1⁄4 cup butter (may use margarine)
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy (option is yours!)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- BROWNIE BASE - In mixing bowl: with electric beater cream butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating smooth after each addition.
- In bowl: measure out and combine flour, cocoa and salt and whisk to mix, stir in chopped walnuts; stir dry mix into butter mixture, mix until blended, pour into a well greased and lined 9 inch round pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 25 - 30 minutes, do not over bake; this can be made ahead covered and refrigerated up to 2 days, it also freezes well.
- ICE CREAM MOLD - spoon softened ice cream into an 8 inch round bowl lined with plastic wrap, pack well, cover with plastic wrap until firm (2 hours) this can be made ahead and kept in freezer up to 2 days.
- FUDGE SAUCE - combine all the ingredients for the fudge sauce into a sauce pan, whisk smooth and cook over low heat until hot and smooth; put in bowl or jar cover and refrigerate - heat before serving.
- MERINGUE TOPPING - beat egg whites and cream of tartar until forms soft peaks.
- Gradually add sugar and beat, add brandy; beat until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- ASSEMBLY - just before serving place cake base on oven proof platter, unmold ice cream onto brownie base and return to freezer while you make the meringue. Warm fudge sauce, I use the micro wave.
- Prepare meringue, working quickly spread over the cake and ice cream covering completely.
- Broil, rotating platter until meringue is lightly browned; WATCH CAREFULLY - takes about three minutes.
- Serve with the warmed fudge sauce - yield will depend on the size of your servings, time will vary with the experience of the chef.