Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to whip up, great with a glass of wine!
Make and share this Catherine's Crustless Onion Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Grease a 23 cm round pie pan.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a frying pan and cook onions until translucent.
- Mix sour cream with eggs.
- Add cooked onions and seasonings, mixing well.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to batter, mixing just until incorporated.
- Add melted butter, mix well.
- Turn batter into the prepared pan.
- If using the bacon, cut the slices into small triangles and arrange on top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated over for 25-30 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
This was very good. You could easily double the amount of onions in this from a more onion flavor. Thanks for sharing.
Having read the reviews, I added some anchovie to the saute-ing onions. The result is a lovely eggy, light cake and is, indeed, great with a glass of wine.
We really liked this a lot stormy. It was full of flavour, dense & would be ideal served as a welcome departure from potatoes & paired w/grilled meat + salad greens. I tweaked it a tiny bit - used garlic salt instead of reg salt & next time will use a more generous amt of fresh or roasted garlic. To add a meat component, I poured half the batter into the pie plate, placed a layer of pre-cooked sliced sausage & added the rest of the batter. It was perfectly done in the exact time stated. DH thot it was too - he loved it! I'm so glad I picked this for the QQ's Cook Again Reunion. :-)