Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This historically delicious salad is AUTHENTICALLY CATHERINE DE MEDICI's favorite salad as borne out in history books. It is also known as Insalata di Caterina (Catherine's Salad), Misticanza del pastore (Shepherd's Mixture) or Insalata Rinascimentale (Renaissance Salad). Picked up this recipe while I was in Florence, it is salad with that peculiar anchovy taste. A new twist for discriminating guests. This recipe from Paolo Petroni's ''The Complete Book of Florentine Coooking'', Florentine delegate to the Accademia Italiana della Cucina. TRIED AND TESTED, GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC. Prep time is also cook time
- mixed salad green (lettuce, chicory, corn salad, etc.)
- tuscan soft pecorino cheese (sheep´s milk cheese)
- hardboiled egg (1/2 per person)
- anchovy packed in oil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash the different varieties of salad (at least 3), dry well and place in a large salad bowl (a wooden bowl is ideal and typical for this dish).
- Add the pecorino cut into small cubes, little pieces of anchovy fillet and a few capers.
- Salt, pepper lightly and dress with oil and vinegar, toss well and serve immediately, decorated with wedges of hardboiled eggs.
All my favorite things in the same salad, anchovies, capers, goat cheese, greens and eggs... the recipe is not just vague about the amounts, but it doesn't give them at all. All the same, can be prepared to personal tastes and amounts. I used balsamic vinegar and of course extra virgin olive oil. Garlic croutons would go great here, too. Very appeticing.