Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from "My Great Recipes". I have not yet made this cake, but it sure looks good! ;-)
- 1 lb candied pineapple
- 3 (6 ounce) packages pitted dates
- 1⁄2 lb candied red cherries
- 1⁄2 lb candied green cherries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 cups pecan halves
- vegetable shortening
- Cut pineapple and dates into coarse pieces. Mix with whole cherries in large bowl. Sift flour, baking powder and salt over fruit, mixing with hands.
- Beat eggs well. Gradually beat in sugar. Combine with fruit mixture.
- Add pecans, mixing with hands until uniformly mixed with fruit.
- Use vegetable shortening to grease 2 9x5 inch loaf pans. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper. Then grease paper. Pack batter into lined pans.
- Bake at 275 on middle shelf for 1 1/2 hours. Do not overbrown. Turn out onto racks. Remove paper. Cool and store airtight.
- Let ripen several days or up to 2 to 3 weeks. Slice thinly to serve.
- Use kitchen sheers, dipped in water, to cut dates and pineapple. Prepare fruit ahead, if you wish. Pack in separate plastic bags; store in cool, dry place (Not freezer or refrigerator) Two 9-inch ring molds can be used in place of the loaf pans. Make cake a few days ahead to serve it at its best. Do not foil wrap fruitcakes. Acid fruits often cause holes in foil. Use plastic wrap or waxed paper. Store in airtight contained for ripening.