Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
Received this recipe from my mom a long time ago. She knows my passion for chocolate. It's chocolate, nuts and coconut at its best.
- 1⁄2-1 cup margarine
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 (5 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Melt margarine and chocolate chips, combining well; cool slightly. Add nuts and marshmallows; mix well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, place some of the coconut.
- Shape 1/3 of chocolate mixture into log about 2-inches in diameter; roll in coconut to coat.
- Wrap in waxed paper.
- Repeat with remaining 2/3s for a total of 3 logs.
- Chill overnight or place in ziploc bag and freeze.
- When ready to use, slice about 1/2-inch thick.
This recipe gets high marks for lots of reasons. It was super-easy to make. It stores well. It is very delicious. It brings back terrific childhood memories. The only changes I made were to use only 1/2 cup butter, and I used more coconut, and I tinted the coconut as well. These are oh-so-good!
My mom used to make these at Christmas time, and I'd forgotten all about them!! While searching for some Christmas cookie recipes, I found this and just had to make them. These are just so easy and make a nice, colourful addition to the Christmas cookie platter! I've already cut the ends of the three logs, just to try them ! Sure brought back memories. Thanks IB for sharing this recipe. These will become one of my Christmas goodies from now on !!
Your recipe is way off! I have made this "candy" for over 30 years and all loved it. Use only 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter. I get the colored mini marshmallows, to get a stained glass effect when cutting the logs. I add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of mint or peppermint extract. I cut the logs into 1/4" slices. It works very, very well this way!