Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
catfish fillet topped off with a southwestern relish made up of black beans, avocados, tomato, and a blend of spices...what's not to love!? Can serve alone with listed side suggestions or as a fish taco.
- 4 catfish fillets, 1/2 in. thickness
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon lime peel
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil (for grill pan)
- lime wedge (garnish)
- cilantro, sprigs (garnish)
- Rinse fillets, dry, and set aside on plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the peel, juice, cilantro, oregano, scallion, olive oil, salt, and cayenne. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado, beans, and tomato. Pour half of the cilantro mixture over top and toss all ingredients. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate.
- Pour half of the remaining cilantro mix atop fillets. Turn fillets to coat and let stand 2-3 minutes (too long and acid starts to cook outside of fish).
- Heat grill pan on med-medium high, brush grill with 1/2 tsp oil.
- Remove fish from plate and place on grill. Grill 2-3 minutes, turn, brush with remaining cilantro mixture, and cook 2-3 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Plate fish and top with the refrigerated southwestern relish.
- Decorate with garnishes if desired. Side suggestions: couscous, rice, sauteed green beans, asparagus.
I made this as a filling for fish tacos. I used barramundi for the fish, and followed the rest of the recipe exactly as stated. It was very nice! I think with a bit of fresh garlic and red onions in the relish it would have been perfect. Quick and yummy. Thanks Hopkins82! Made for PAC Spring 2008.