Recipe by Olarouge
This [fried catfish] recipe is really easy, especially if you don't have much time. If you don't like fish you can use boneless/skinless chicken breasts instead.
- 6 catfish fillets, pieces (boneless & skinless)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Mix 1.5 cups of cornmeal with a half tablespoon of the other dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir the the dry-mix until well blended together.
- 2. Cut catfish fillets in half so that you end up with strip-size pieces.
- 3. Heat Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening to 350 degrees on the stove-top using a cast iron skillet. Test the shortening/oil to ensure that it is ready for frying by dipping a bite-size catfish piece in the hot shortening/oil.
- 4. Next, Begin dredging your catfish into the dry-mix until well coated.
- 5. Shake off excess mix and gently lay the catfish strips in the iron skillet. place about 5-6 strips at a time in the skillet. Turn strips once maybe twice while cooking until strips are "pancake brown" color. Overcooking the fish will make the bite very crunchy and the taste very dry. The best time for cooking is between 5-7 minutes. Once the fish has achieved it doneness, remove fish from oil and place on a few sheets of stacked paper towel . That's it -- You're ready to enjoy! The catfish strips go well with steamed rice, steamed veggies, and/or you can use them as the meat component in some tacos.