Recipe by Dreamgoddess
These little appetizers are so good! We really loved the dipping sauce and I can't wait to try it with some shrimp and scallops also. If you can't find the panko, feel free to use plain breadcrumbs as I did. Recipe is from Southern Living April 2006.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 3⁄4 lbs catfish fillets, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups Japanese-style bread crumbs (panko)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup spicy seafood cocktail sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the salt, Cajun seasoning and flour in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- First dredge the fish in the flour, then dip in the eggs and finally dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the catfish pieces in about 1/2" of oil heated to 375 degrees.
- Fry about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Drain and serve with the Spicy Dipping Sauce.
- Spicy Dipping Sauce: Combine the mayonnaise, cocktail sauce, lemon juice, red pepper and Old Bay in a bowl.
- Chill, covered, until ready to serve with the poppers.