Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I made this for a work potluck. Everyone was surprised to find out it had catfish in it. Got many requests for the recipe.
Top Review by nott
This recipe is like a Spanish rice with fish flakes. I liked it a lot, but I will reduce the amount of bell pepper to a half cup, and up the onion to 1 cup. I used some jalapeno sauce to splash over my serving to jazz up some spice. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, undrained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put catfish fillets into a lightly greased oblong baking dish.
- Drizzle with melted butter and lemon juice.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- Drain fish, place in a bowl and flake with a fork.
- Cook bacon in a skillet; transfer to paper-towel lined plate to drain; crumble and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet.
- Add green pepper and onion to bacon drippings; cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Add in bacon, tomatoes, water, rice, pimentos, and salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add catfish; stir to combine.
- Cover and let stand 5-10 minutes.