Recipe by Ransomed by Fire
My husband used to complain that tilapia, and sometimes catfish, had a dirt-like taste to him. So, I set out to find out how to take the dirt taste out of it. By using this method, you can easily remove the dirt taste by ridding the fish of the chemical that makes it taste that way.
- 2 tilapia fillets (or two servings of catfish)
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix milk and lemon juice or put buttermilk in a dish large enough to marinate the fish .
- Place fish in buttermilk to soak for an hour.
- Once fish has marinated in the buttermilk for an hour, cook as usual or continue to step 4.
- Mix breading ingredients in a ziploc bag.
- Remove fish from marinade and coat in breading mixture.
- Deep fry in hot oil until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Farenheit.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.