Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From page 222 of The Best of Gourmet, a very tasty way to serve catfish and okra(no breading involved/just roasting!). Prepared it last night after work, very easy to follow recipe. My wife and daughter's friends enjoyed it. The recipe calls for corn, though I omitted in my meal since a family member is allergic to corn. Still tasty.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed & rinsed
- 12 ounces grape tomatoes (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (1/2 lb) catfish fillets
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedge
- Place oven racks in upper & lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Toss okra & tomatoes with oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread in a large shallow baking pan and roast in lower third of oven until tomato skins begin to burst about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat fillets dry and arrange in another large shallow baking pan. Sprinkle both sides with 1 1/2 teaspoons (total) Old Bay seasoning.
- When tomato skins begin to burst, add corn to vegetables in lower third of oven and place fish in upper third of oven. Roast fish and vegetables until fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- While fish roasts, melt butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then add nuts and remaining 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nuts are golden and butter is deep golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve fish over vegetables and top with sauce.
I usually don't review if I have to substitue ingredients, but this was just soooo good! I didn't have fresh tomatoes, but I ahd some dehgydrated plum tomatores fromour garden and I didn't have pecan, but I did have almonds - so I substituted those. other than that I stuck with the recipe and it was really good! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!! I will make it again I'm sure!