Recipe by TinyBubbles
This Cajun style catfish is simply divine! Dresses it up a bit, too. Definitely good enough for company!
- 4 -6 ounces catfish fillets
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups rice, prepared
- 1⁄4 lb small shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare shrimp topping first: Combine 2 Tbsp oil and flour with a wire whisk and cook in a heavy skillet until light brown. Set mixture aside.
- Cook celery, green pepper, and onion in 1 Tbsp oil in skillet over med-high heat stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add shrimp and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in water and remaining ingredients. Heat to bubbling. Gradually stir in reserved flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Cook until thoroughly heated, then remove from heat but keep warm.
- Catfish: In a medium bowl combine eggs and next 3 ingredients, plus 2 tsp cajun seasoning and set aside.
- In a shallow dish combine flour and remaining 2 tsp cajun seasoning.
- Dredge each fillet in flour, then in the egg mixture and fry in hot oil 5 minutes each side, or until golden. (fry in batches, if necessary).
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- Serve over hot rice with shrimp topping spooned onto each fillet.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or scallions, and a lemon wedge.