1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Posted in response to a request. This untried recipe is from Gundel's Hungarian Cooking. First published in 1934, this is a compilation of the best recipes of Gundel's, a then famous restaurant, and it's chef Gundel Karoly. The English translation is somewhat broken so I've tried to make it a bit clearer. I am posting the ingredients as they are listed, lard and all. Feel free to adapt as you see fit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boned catfish fillets
- 5 cups sauerkraut
- 4 slices smoked bacon, cut into squares
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 cups green peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 small tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1Rinse and drain the sauerkraut to remove some of the bitterness.
- 2Heat a large skillet and fry bacon bits until translucent, add in the onion, 2 tbsp lard, green pepper, tomato, and 1 tbsp paprika. Stir this mixture well and add the sauerkraut and black pepper. Simmer for one hour.
- 3In a separate pan, prepare a light roux with 1 tablespoon lard, flour and dill.
- 4After the hour of braising, add the roux to the sauerkraut mixture.
- 5Place sliced fish on top of the sauerkraut. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove fillets from pan. Stir in the sour cream and heat.
- 7To serve, place a portion of the creamed sauerkraut mixture on the plate topped with a fish fillet. Garnish with a bit of sour cream, a drizzle of lard and a dash of paprika.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Catfish in Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 791.2
- Calories from Fat 541
- Total Fat 60.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 149.1 mg
- Sodium 1495.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 36.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: