Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
My family loves this. Very hearty.
Make and share this Catfish Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra, thawed
- hot cooked rice
- Saute green pepper, celery, onion, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven until tender.
- Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut catfish into 1-inch pieces; add to gumbo, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra; cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over rice.
My family and I have developed an appreciation of catfish and I am always looking for new and interesting ways to cook with it. This gumbo was delicious. So easy to put all the ingredients together. We thought the flavor was just right meaning it was not too hot for our tastes but was definitely seasoned. Lots cheaper than using shrimp or seafood--if you catch your own that is. Thanks.
The family and I thought this was excellent gumbo. The catfish has a mild flavor that was enhanced by all the seasonings. Very easy to make. Love it when I find something we all enjoy. Thanks Nurse Di :)
I first prepared this delicious gumbo on 6/28/92, after finding the recipe in a magazine. Don't remember which one, but It was submitted by Sybil Arant, Sunflower, Mississippi. DH/I have enjoyed it often since and have shared the recipe with many family members and friends. Instead of fillets, I use catfish nuggets (cheaper and already cut into chunks). I omit salt, but add 1/2 t. Creole seasoning, 1 t. or less liquid crab boil, and more garlic; 1 lb. of okra - not 10-oz. At the very end, I add 1 t. file' powder, then serve it over white or yellow or brown rice. We're having a cold snap in coastal N.E. Florida, so I'm thawing catfish nuggets to have this great dish tonight, along with hushpuppies or cornbread.