Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My family loves this. Very hearty.
Top Review by Natalie Z
My family and I have developed an appreciation of catfish and I am always looking for new and interesting ways to cook with it. This gumbo was delicious. So easy to put all the ingredients together. We thought the flavor was just right meaning it was not too hot for our tastes but was definitely seasoned. Lots cheaper than using shrimp or seafood--if you catch your own that is. Thanks.
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra, thawed
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute green pepper, celery, onion, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven until tender.
- Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut catfish into 1-inch pieces; add to gumbo, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra; cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over rice.