Recipe by cookinpossum
I found this dish on my local news website and it sounded so good I made it that night for supper. You can make this into a one dish meal by stirring instant rice into the mixture after the fish is done(this is how I prepared it) or you can prepare the rice separately and serve the mixture over rice. I loved it!
- 1 cup rice
- 1 lb catfish fillet (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes (this can be adjusted to taste)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (dissolved in 1 c. boiling water)
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon bottled garlic
- hot sauce or pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomatoes, onion, bouillon, seasoning and garlic. Next, season the catfish pieces with some cajun seasoning and sear in a skillet. DO NOT cook the fish all the way through. Cook just until outside is slightly browned. This adds color and flavor.
- Add seared catfish to the mixture in the saucepan and heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until fish is done.
- Add hot sauce and pepper to taste.
- At this point you need to decide whether you want to make this a one dish meal or not. You can add instant rice to the heated mixture and let it set until moisture is absorbed. (If mixture gets too thick you can always dissolve another bouillon cube and add it.) or you can serve it over a bed of 'real' rice.