These are absolutely delicious! Another recipe from Grady Spears, they are so good you won't have any leftovers, I promise. And once you have the ingredients together, they go together very quickly. My family loves these, and my neighbors love them.
My Private Note
3oz. ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless catfish fillets, cut into 1 inch dice
- 1/2 cup finely chipped red onion
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed,seed and minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups white breadcrumbs (fresh or dried)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups peanut oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1Heat the oil in a skillet over med heat.
- 2Add the catfish, onion, jalapeno and garlic.
- 3Saute until the vegetables are wilted and the catfish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- 4In a large bowl, combine the cooked fish and vegetables, mayonnaise, chives, cilantro, mustard, crumbs, egg, zest, salt and pepper.
- 5Form the mixture into 10 3-oz.
- 6patties; pack them fairly tight so it will stay together while cooking.
- 7Set aside on a plate.
- 8Heat the peanut oil in a pan until smoking slightly.
- 9Dust each cake with flour and gently slip it into the hot oil.
- 10Fry the cakes for approximately 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown.
- 11Do not crowd the cakes; it is better to cook them in batches.
- 12Remove the cakes and drain on paper towels.
- 13Serve hot.
- 14Note 1- you can also make smaller cakes and serve as appetizers.
- 15Note 2- I served this once as a replacement for the Canadien Bacon in Eggs Benedict- buttermilk biscuit on bottom, catfish cake, then a poached egg on top and added 2 tbl.
- 16of salsa to my hollandaise.
- 17My guests went crazy for them.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Catfish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (1791 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.2
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.0 mg
- Sodium 239.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: