Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lady that I work with turned me on to these. My family thinks they are just terrific. We like ours dipped in ketchup. Yummy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs catfish fillets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 large potato, peeled,cooked,and mashed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 -3 drops hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups finely crushed butter flavored crackers
- vegetable oil
- Broil catfish fillets in baking pan 5-8 minutes or until fish flakes easily; refrigerate.
- Flake cooled fish into a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, potato, onion, parsley, hot sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil; mix well.
- Shape into 8 patties; coat with cracker crumbs.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet.
- Cook patties a few at a time, until browned on both sides and heated through.
- Serve with tartar sauce or ketchup.
We love fried catfish, so I wanted to give these catfish cakes a try. I served them for brunch along with quiche and fruit salad. I used 1 teaspoon minced garlic and a generous splash of hot sauce. The cracker crumb coating made for a crisp exterior. Yummy and something different.
You've done it again NurseDi. DH loved this recipe. Apparently I read butter flavored crackers wrong...I was thinking cook them in butter. I had everything ready to coat and fry when I realized my mistake, so I substituted dry bread crumbs and fried them in butter. The other mistake I 'almost' made is switching the basil and parsley (I didn't have fresh parsley so substituted dried.), but realized it just as soon as I closed the lid. I was able to dip most of my mistake out with no ill effects. We'll be doing these again!! Thank you for sharing!
Great recipe, I had some catfish that I didn't feel like grilling and this was a great sub. I actually forgot the egg, but added a bit extra potato (I was wondering why it wasn't sticking =) and they were fine. I skipped the parsley because I didn't have any and served it with Black Bean and Corn Salsa for an extra kick. Maybe because I added extra potato, I couldn't really taste the fish as much.