Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe will give you 8 catfish cakes but can be easily doubled and cod fish may be used in place of the catfish or use a mixture of each. You can bake the fish fillets up to a day in advance and refrigerate until ready to use for this recipe, also you can prepare and shape the catfish cakes (omitting the flour) cover and chill up to a day in advance, coat in flour before frying. Prep time does not include cooking the fish firstly. These are just as delicious cold!
- 1 lb catfish fillet (cooked and cooled)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (can use more)
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (or use similar buttery crackers)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- black pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley (optional)
- flour, for coating
- oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl mash the cooked catfish fillets.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except flour; mix to combine (adding in more Cajun seasoning if desired and salt and pepper to taste).
- Shape into 8 patties.
- Place flour onto a plate then dredge the cakes into the flour to coat on both sides.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then fry four cakes at a time in hot oil turning once until golden brown (about 3 minutes on each side).
- Place onto paper towels.