Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an easy and cute cake that the kids can help decorate. This would also make a nice birthday cake.
- 1 (18 ounce) box cake mix (any flavor)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- icing, colored with food coloring
- licorice whips
- candy sprinkles, to decorate
- coconut flakes, tinted with green food coloring
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix cake according to package directions.
- Bake cake in a Bundt pan.
- After cake has cooled, cut cake in half and place on cardboard (large foil covered piece of cardboard to display cake) in an "S" shape (this is the shape of the caterpillar).
- Frost top of caterpillar and decorate with candy.
- May use licorice whips for antennas and spread green coconut grass on cardboard.
We made two, one for my son and one for my daughter. It was one of those days when we needed to stay home and not run around town. What a fun project for children! We used Icing-in-the-Cake Cake and it came out beautiful!
Thank you for posting this wonderful and fun idea. My son loved his cake and everyone was amazed that I was able to produce such a lovely caterpillar. I used sour strips for the stripes and mouth and marshmallows and M&M's for the eyes. I used a pound cake for the cake mix and it turned out very tasty as well as cute. Thanks again Dawn!
This was a real hit at a picnic this summer. I used Colored Coconut Flakes (Colored Coconut Flakes) to make "green grass" and sprinkled it on the base of the serving tray. I also think that Decorator Buttercream Icing (Decorator Buttercream Icing) is fantastic for this type of cake. We used shoelace licorice to make creepy crawly legs on the little insect. my daughter cried when we started to cut into it. it is a GREAT kids cake!