Remember my motto when cooking this dish or most any other: If you've got it, sneak it in! Were trying to eat a rainbow each and every day so if you have a variety of vegetables, use them. And, believe it or not you can't even taste a carrot when shredded nor spinach when it is cooked down. This recipe is delicious as is but feel free to improvise even more as you strive for reaching that rainbow!
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 2 small zucchini (green)
- 2 small yellow zucchini
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and Sliced)
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 26 ounces pasta sauce (Hunts Zesty and Spicy)
- 13 1⁄4 ounces whole wheat linguine
- Add oil to a nonstick pan, heat on low. Slice chicken into thin, large bite-size pieces and add to pan. Shave garlic over chicken into pan. Shred a carrot and dice celery, add to pan and simmer for up 5 -7 minutes until crunchy tender. Meanwhile cube zucchini and chop the spinach, Set aside. Add zucchini, spinach, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Toss to coat. Cover and turn off heat until ready to reheat and serve. Cook the pasta until desired tenderness is reached. Reheat chicken dish when pasta is nearly done. Drain pasta and divide equally among plates or bowls. Top pasta with chicken cacciatore or mix together before dishing out onto individual plates. Enjoy!