Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
When is a taco salad not a taco salad? Hamburger, tortilla chips, onion, lettuce and cheese. But it's the dressing that makes this amazing! I got this recipe from my parents who got it from my aunt who got it from a friend and so on. It is an amazing change from a regular taco salad!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 bottle Catalina dressing
- 1⁄2 onion, small dice
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 7 -10 ounces tortilla chips
- Brown the ground beef and drain off the grease and allow to room temperature.
- Make sure you drain the grease off well or it will sift to the bottom of your salad bowl.
- Chop the lettuce to bite sized pieces.
- In a large salad bowl place in the lettuce, cheese, ground beef and onion.
- Crush the tortilla chips lightly onto them and mix it up.
- Add enough catalina to cover your salad.
- I used about half of a bottle for this.
- You want a nice coating though.
This has been a family favorite for years. We use red onion and add in tomatoes, whole pitted olives, kidney beans and avocados and use Frito corn chips. Mmmmm a wonderful summer salad!
Add a diced tomato and it's the recipe my best friend gave me years ago. We love it!