- 8 egg whites (1 small carton egg whites)
- 4 whole eggs
- 2⁄3 cup yogurt or 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper
- oregano (or any other spices you like) or garlic powder (or any other spices you like)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (the cheese is optional, but it makes it super tasty. Also, low fat cheese works just as well) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or spray a deep dish pie plate or small casserole dish.
- Fry onion in oil till soft, then add broccoli. Stir fry till cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, with an electric beater, beat together the egg whites and whole eggs in a large bowl till frothy.
- Add the yogurt and spices. Beat some more till well mixed.
- Add the vegetables and the cheese to the eggs. Stir everything together and pour into the pie plate or dish. (You can also pour it into a prepared pie crust if you want).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. You’ll know it’s cooked because it will puff up.
- Once cooked, let it sit for 20 minutes at room temperature before serving. (it tastes better if it sits even longer, ie. 1-2 hours. You can also make it in the morning, let it sit, then reheat for the evening. It doesn’t need to be served super hot, just warm).
- You can play around A LOT with this recipe. For example:
- Use cream cheese instead of yogurt, or a bit of both.
- Change the vegetables & cheese to:
- -spinach, red onions, & feta,
- -potatoes, red peppers, onions, & parmesan (use ½ cup only) & rosemary (goes sooo great with the potatoes)
- -roasted red peppers, onions, brie (freeze the brie first, then you can shred it without it falling apart)
- -mushrooms, asparagus, onions, swiss cheese.
- -red & white onions, green onions, any cheese you have.