Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of the sauces traditionally used to accompany grilled steak in Barcelona. Adapted from the Barbecue Bible. May be made 4 hours in advance; if refrigerated, bring to room temperature before using. Cook time is standing time.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cornichon, finely chopped (or other small sour pickle)
- 1 plum tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- Combine vinegar, water, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk until salt is dissolved.
- Slowly pour in the oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients.
- Let stand 10 minutes before using.