Recipe by Jane Gib
Catalan apples stuffed with veal and pork. With the added flavour of rum and raisins, it is a lovely way to finish any meal
- 12 apples
- 100 g ground pork
- 100 g ground veal
- 200 g almonds
- 100 g raisins
- rum, to mix with the raisins
- 2 eggs
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 lemons
- 200 g sugar
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- I sometimes add genjibre to the mixture, but I couldn't include it in the ingredients.
- Mix rum with the raisins. I tend to leave them soaking overnight.
- Wash and empty apples. Mix the minced pork and veal with the eggs, almonds and raising. Add grated rind of 1 lemon and add the genjibre.
- Mix together and fill up apples with the mixture. Sprinkle flour over the top and gently fry in a little oil. Make sure you don't spill it.
- Place apples in an ovenproof dish (or a clay one is better).
- Prepare a caramel with the sugar and add some more lemon rind, grated, and the cinnamon sticks.
- Cover half with water and cook slowly until done.