This is from Eating Well magazine. I have modified it to make it easier. It is great comfort food. The capers and wine make this elegant enough for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 skinless chicken legs (excess fat removed)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage, Sweet Italian, cut up in big chunks (usually it comes precooked and I use a very low-fat sausage.)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (orig recipe fresh chopped tomatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (orig recipe called for sprig of fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (orig recipe called for sprig of fresh)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, fresh
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1Salt and pepper the chicken, remembering that the tomatoes have salt ( I used very little salt).
- 2Note: You can get away with very little browning of the meat since this will cook like a stew. So do what you have time to do!
- 3Brown chicken in oil in deep skillet.
- 4Set aside in bowl.
- 5Brown sausage in skillet.
- 6Add to bowl.
- 7Add tomatoes, garlic, shallot, wine, rosemary and thyme to pan.
- 8Cook until the juice reduces a bit. Note: Again -- do what you have time to do. It will be good no matter what! I promise.
- 9Add the chicken and sausage and simmer 20 minutes.
- 10When the chicken is tender, move the chicken and sausage to your serving dish.
- 11Mix the broth and cornstarch together and add to the sauce left in the pot.
- 12Add the capers and zest.
- 13Cook until thickened.
- 14Pour sauce over meat.
- 15Sprinkle with some pretty parsley.
- 16Enjoy! We serve ours with white rice and a green veggie.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Catalan Saute of Chicken With Sausage, Capers and Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.4
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 206.0 mg
- Sodium 1441.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 39.6 g