Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This one pot dish not only saves on washing up, but all the lovely flavors and aromas mingle together.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 ounces chorizo sausage, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 2 ounces raisins (optional)
- 2 slices orange zest
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 20 mixed olives
- 1 (1 lb) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and brown really well all over. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Use the remaining oil to cook the onions in the frying pan until they turned golden at the edges. Add the pepper and garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and add to the chicken in the casserole dish. Brown the chorizo in the frying pan and also add this to the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Pour the tomatoes, broth and wine over the chicken, add the smoked paprika and saffron (if using). Add the raisins (if using), orange zest and thyme, season and mix well,.
- Add the olives and garbanzo beans, bring to the boil, then cover and cook on the middle shelf of the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Scatter with the parsley and serve with rice.
This is absolutely divine. I used bone in/skin on chicken breasts. I used only about 4- 6 oz of chorizo and that was plenty and then followed the recipe exactly, including the optional bits. Complex and flavorful! Will absolutely make again.