1/1 Photo of Cat Head Biscuits With Sawmill Gravy
Crafty Lady 13's Note:
These biscuits are so named because they are the size of a cat's head. This biscuits with sausage gravy recipe is from the Deen Brother's Y'all Come Eat cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups self-rising flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2For the biscuits, in a medium bowl, gently stir together the 3 cups flour, the buttermilk, and butter until the dough just comes together. On a floured surface, pat the dough into a 1 1/2-inch-thick round. cut the dough into six 4-inch circles; transfer to the baking sheet. Bake about 25 mintues or until golden brown.
- 3For the gravy, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until brown, breaking meat up with a fork as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet.
- 4Heat the remaining fat over medium heat and whisk in the 4 1/2 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk; increase heat to medium-high and simmer about 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sausage, pepper, and salt. To serve, split the biscuits and top with generous spoonfuls of gravy.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cat Head Biscuits With Sawmill Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.6
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 89.0 mg
- Sodium 1567.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 26.5 g