Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These biscuits are so named because they are the size of a cat's head. This biscuits with sausage gravy recipe is from the Deen Brother's Y'all Come Eat cookbook.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups self-rising flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- For the biscuits, in a medium bowl, gently stir together the 3 cups flour, the buttermilk, and butter until the dough just comes together. On a floured surface, pat the dough into a 1 1/2-inch-thick round. cut the dough into six 4-inch circles; transfer to the baking sheet. Bake about 25 mintues or until golden brown.
- For the gravy, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until brown, breaking meat up with a fork as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet.
- Heat the remaining fat over medium heat and whisk in the 4 1/2 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk; increase heat to medium-high and simmer about 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sausage, pepper, and salt. To serve, split the biscuits and top with generous spoonfuls of gravy.
This recipe was a real attention-getter at the dinner table! lol We already love biscuits and gravy at our house and this recipe was no exception! Everyone loved it hands down. I made my own self-rising flour for the biscuits. I accidently added in too much salt as I had doubled the recipe for our family. Luckily - it wasn't too noticeable. :) The gravy is very similar to what I already make for my family. Thanks for sharing a tasty recipe! Made for the May 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.