Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From 10/1/07 First Magazine.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) whole chickens
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (approximate)
- kosher salt (for sprinkling)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken on a rack set in a roasting pan.
- Melt 2 T. of butter in a small saucepan. Drizzle the butter over the chicken with a little bit at a time, rubbing and turning the chicken so it's evenly coated on every side. Don't wash the saucepan. Sprinkle the chicken with kosher salt.
- Roast the chicken, breast side up, for 20 minutes; turn the chicken and roast for 10 more minutes. Meanwhile, pour the honey and water into the remaining butter. Add the saffron; heat over low heat until thin enough to brush over the chicken. Turn the chicken breast side up. With a pastry brush or a clean paper towel, brush the mixture over the chicken. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170 degrees when inserted into the widest part of the thigh without touching the bone. Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
Excellent..Made this last night. Will make again. Thanks
Cooking time listed was severely too short. Flavor was very bland to me.