Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another one I found in the Nebraska Kitchens Cookbook. Have fun and experiment with different fruits. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, any heavy pan will do.
- In bowl, mix flour, first six tablespoons of butter, eggs, baking powder, sugar, salt, and milk with a spoon to form a lumpy batter.
- Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter and brown sugar in cast iron skillet on low heat.
- When sugar and butter are melted, sprinkle in about 1 cup of well-drained fruit. Pour batter mixture on top so that all fruit is covered.
- Bake in center of oven at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until center of cake tests done.
- Remove skillet from oven and immediately invert the skillet onto platter.
- If the cake doesn't drop on the first try, re-heat the skillet for a minute or two on the stovetop to loosen the sugars, but be careful as the fruit and sugar is very hot.
I didn't think a cast iron cake could taste so good. We will definitely be making this again.