Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The perfect fillet!
- two 8oz filet mignon
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- garlic powder
- fresh thyme sprig
- 1⁄4 cup salter butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup bourdeaux wine
- Generously salt, pepper filets, add garlic powder. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before cooking. Allow filets to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes, before cooking. This is an important step!
- Place enough EVOO in cast iron skillet to sear 2 steaks. Heat oil to HIGH.
- Place steaks in oil and sear on both sides on HIGH for 2 minutes each side.
- Once seared, add 2T butter, minced garlic and thyme to pan.
- Transfer skillet to oven preheated to 450 degrees. Cook, without turning for 3 minutes, or until rare/ med-rare (130 – 140 degrees).
- Remove skillet from oven, return to stove top on medium heat. Add more butter, thyme, garlic and some red wine. Just enough time to baste.
- Place on plate and allow to rest 5 minutes.