Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 large piece chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on, halved across
- 4 pieces dark chicken meat, bone-in, skin on, thighs and or or legs
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons evoo extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, about 2/3 palmful (optional)
- 4 small celery ribs, and leafy tops from heart chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/3 palmful
- 1 cup pitted Sicilian olives
- 6 -8 small ripe plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 handful large golden raisin (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nero d'avola sicilian red wine or other spicy red wine
- 6 cups arugula or 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 lemon
- 1 loaf crusty bread, such as ciabatta
- Preheat cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat and the oven to 400˚F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper liberally on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in the skillet, one turn of the pan. When oil smokes, add chicken and brown a few minutes on each side then remove and turn heat down a bit.
- Add some EVOO to pan, 2 turns of the pan, and add fennel seeds and stir; add celery, peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper and soften 3 - 4 minutes. Then add garlic, red pepper flakes and sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and golden raisins if using, stir to combine, then stir in wine to deglaze pan. Set chicken back on top of pan and transfer to oven.
- Roast 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Serve from pan at table and pass arugula dressed with lemon and EVOO, salt and pepper and crusty bread for mopping.