Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is so easy - and so good! One of my favorite dishes that my mother-in-law has been making for years. Perfect when accompanied with rice. Preparing in a good "seasoned" cast iron skillet is a must for the flavor to come out right. I prefer using chicken breasts with bones, but my husband likes boneless - either way it comes out great!
- 3 -4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed white peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 -5 tablespoons water
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with half the amount of Tony's seasoning. Set aside.
- Warm up the skillet over medium high heat.
- Add lard or butter an allow to melt.
- Add onions and sautee until they look carmelized (they should turn a nice light brown in the cast iron pan, but not burned).
- Add the remaining Tony's, crushed white peppercorns and garlic powder to onions and stir.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add chicken breasts and allow them to brown on one side. Flip each breast.
- Spoon onions on top of breasts.
- Add a few Tablespoons water.
- Turn flame down to low/medium and cover pan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, checking occasionally.
- Serve. The gravy and onions are great over rice.
Absolutely loved this recipe! So easy to make and so little ingredients, things I usually already have on hand. I love cooking in my cast iron skillets and this recipe will be made very often. My husband loved it! ?
This turned out to be the best chicken breasts I've ever cooked! Great recipe!
Sizzlin' hot! Now show me your photo collection of sexy men.