Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the result of the highly successful method of 'Trial and Error' to find the "perfect" cornbread for my 10" Cast Iron Skillet. Enjoy! This can be baked in other dishes (8x8, 9x9, muffin tins, larger or smaller skillets etc and the doubled recipe fills a 9x13) but I do not have baking times for those. *Updated directions 2/16/2015*
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil (vegetable or canola NOT olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter (for oiling skillet) or 3 -4 tablespoons oil (for oiling skillet) or 3 -4 tablespoons Crisco (for oiling skillet) or 3 -4 tablespoons lard (for oiling skillet)
- Position oven rack in the middle of your oven, preheat oven to 350, place skillet in cold preheating oven in center of the middle rack.
- In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate smaller bowl combine wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry and mix until well blended.
- Slide the oven rack, with the skillet on it, out and place last of the butter into hot skillet. Immediately pour batter into hot skillet, and slide oven rack into place.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
This is a very easy and tasty recipe! I just started using a cast iron skillet and this was my second time using it. Loved the corn bread! I did have to increase the bake time by 15 mins to get the center to finish. Was a beautiful brown on the bottom too.