Recipe by Secret Agent
This is so good and can be baked in your oven while you are running errands. Ideal for dinner for two with plenty leftover for another meal! Add your favorite root veggies to make it your own.
- 3 lbs pot roast, as round as you can find
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed and peeled and quartered (I use Yukon Gold)
- 1 turnip, scrubbed and pared
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced in big chunks
- 2 cups carrots, pared (and chunked)
- 1 cup rutabaga, diced
- 1 celery rib, peeled (and chunked)
- 1 dozen button mushroom
to 1 cup boiling wateradd
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- 2 teaspoons mushrooms, base
- 1 cup tomato juice (or V-8)
- 1 sprig thyme
- parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season roast with steak seasoning.
- In a cast iron pot with a tight fitting lid sear the pot roast well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix up the sauce ingredients and pour over meat and veggies.
- Cover, and bake for 3 hours.
- Remove veggies and meat to a warm platter and thicken the sauce as desired.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the plated meat and veggies and pass the sauce.