Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe in Runner's World, storing it here for safe-keeping as haven't had a chance to try it yet.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage or 1 lb pork chops or 1 lb duck breasts or 1 lb chicken leg, any combination
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 leeks or 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups canned tomatoes, chopped in juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 4 cups canned white beans, drained and liquid reserved
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- Saute meat on medium-high heat until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and drain fat, leaving about 2 tbsp in pan.
- On medium heat, add garlic, leeks or onions, carrots, celery and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and juice, meat and herbs. Bring to a boil.
- Add beans and boil again, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat so mixture bubbles gently and cook for 20 minutes. Add stock or bean liquid when mixture gets too thick.
- Fish out meat, remove bones and skin and chop into chunks. Return to pot, season with cayenne pepper and warm through.