Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty warm supper, one of many versions of cassoulet. Remove the skin of the chicken or not, depending on your preference (for this particular recipe I personally favor leaving the skin on, which is unusual for me). You can, of course, substitute other types of beans. Preparation time includes 1 hour for soaking beans. Alternative: instead of steps 1-4, you can simply soak the beans overnight. One time I made this I added a couple of carrots, sliced thick, because I had some on hand and happen to like carrots. Serving size depends on the appetites of those being served and on whether you also serve side dishes.
- 1 lb dried white pea beans
- 8 chicken drumsticks or 8 chicken thighs (or 4 drumsticks and 4 thighs)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage links or 1⁄2 lb italian sweet sausage, cut in slices
- 3 beef bouillon cubes or 1 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- Wash beans.
- Heat 6 cups of water to boil in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add beans, cover and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Wash chicken, pat dry, and toss lightly with flour.
- Heat a dutch oven over moderately high heat.
- Add sausage and chicken and brown on all sides.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes or powder in 3 cups boiling water; add to meat along with onion thru tomatoes.
- Add the beans.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer about 1/2 hour; beans should be tender and chicken cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the red wine, or alternatively, add the wine 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
I made the recipe exactly as stated. Talk about HIGH in protien! I think if you cook for kids a lot who are picky eaters when it comes to meat that not McDonalds, this is a great recipe to get them to eat real meat - not one that's left-over parts of the face and filled with fillers.