Recipe by karen
I love spinach and I love mushrooms, so this is a great combination for me. You can also leave out the mushrooms for an easy creamed spinach recipe if you have picky eaters. Make it for a quick & easy vegetable with dinner, or freeze it for another day.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I, too, love spinach and mushrooms together, so I knew this would be great. I really don't care for frozen spinach so I used 20 oz of fresh spinach that I wilted in the hot skillet used to cook the mushrooms. I also used fresh garlic in place of garlic powder. The end result was fabulous. Good enough to serve to guests. Thanx for sharing!
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (13 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- paprika (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the cooked spinach well, squeezing out excess liquid.
- Saute mushrooms in butter in large skillet for about 5 minutes or until tender. Quickly steam off some, but not all, of the excess liquid.
- Add soup, sour cream and garlic powder to mushrooms. Mix well.
- Stir spinach into mushroom mixture until well blended.
- Spread spinach mixture in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish coating in cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- NOTE: Cover and refrigerate or freeze at this point if desired. Thaw completely before baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.