Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love spinach and I love mushrooms, so this is a great combination for me. You can also leave out the mushrooms for an easy creamed spinach recipe if you have picky eaters. Make it for a quick & easy vegetable with dinner, or freeze it for another day.
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (13 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- paprika (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the cooked spinach well, squeezing out excess liquid.
- Saute mushrooms in butter in large skillet for about 5 minutes or until tender. Quickly steam off some, but not all, of the excess liquid.
- Add soup, sour cream and garlic powder to mushrooms. Mix well.
- Stir spinach into mushroom mixture until well blended.
- Spread spinach mixture in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish coating in cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- NOTE: Cover and refrigerate or freeze at this point if desired. Thaw completely before baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I, too, love spinach and mushrooms together, so I knew this would be great. I really don't care for frozen spinach so I used 20 oz of fresh spinach that I wilted in the hot skillet used to cook the mushrooms. I also used fresh garlic in place of garlic powder. The end result was fabulous. Good enough to serve to guests. Thanx for sharing!
This was good. Easy to make. I felt it needs a little more garlic, or maybe some added salt. Cooked with the cheese and the paprika was a nice addition.
Yum. We loved this. The only reason it's getting four instead of five stars is because we felt like it did not need the cheese. I used 1/2 the amount of butter, 94% fat free cream of chicken soup (it was all I had) and fat free sour cream. A really creamy casserole; we ended up scooping the cheese off the top because we didn't like it with the creaminess. We think this would be a great dip, or really good inside a baked potato! We ate it with lean porkchops, hashbrowns, and cooked apples for a great dinner.