1 hr 10 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms or 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed, wiped clean, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup vermouth
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups converted rice, cooked according to package directions
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken or 3 cups turkey
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Lightly butter a 2 1/2 quart casserole; set aside.
- 3Melt 1 tbs butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, 8-10 minutes until juices evaporate.
- 4With slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a small bowl; add wine, toss lightly, and set aside.
- 5Add remaining butter to skillet and stir-fry onion 6-8 minutes until lightly browned.
- 6Blend in flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and sage, and when smooth, add broth gradually, stirring briskly to incorporate flour.
- 7Mix in half-and-half and cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes until mixture boils and thickens.
- 8Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- 9Return mushrooms to skillet along with any wine in bowl, then mix in cooked rice and diced chicken.
- 10Transfer to casserole, spreading to edge, and top with pecans.
- 11Slide onto middle oven rack and bake, uncovered about 25 minutes until bubbling and lightly browned.
- 12Serve hot with baby green peas, butter beans, or asparagus or broccoli.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Casserole of Chicken (Or Turkey), Rice, and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.0
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 82.6 mg
- Sodium 518.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 26.3 g