Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
from the Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cook Book 1967..7th printing...my daughters loved this meal growing up...i think it's why they love peas now...my oldest requested it from me recently...so this is for her. I love this because it's comfort food and quick to make...i started to use frozen peas and carrots mix & canned chicken for speed since i was a single mom...working long hours...but if i did roast chicken with veggies on sunday i could make this on monday after work quick too
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons chicken fat
- 3 tablespoons enriched flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in pieces
- 1 cup peas, cooked or canned, drained
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 2 medium carrots, cooked and cut in thirds
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimentos, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits
- Melt butter; blend in flour. Gradually add broth. Cook and stir till thick. Add chicken, vegtables, and salt; heat to boiling. Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Make Biscut Snippets: With scissors, snip refrigerated biscuts into quarters; arrange in ring, rounded side down, atop HOT chicken.
- Bake casserole at 425 degrees 8 to 10 minutes or until biscuts are done.