Recipe by Elly in Canada
A different version of the cassata a traditional Italian dessert made from ricotta, glacé fruit, nuts and chocolate. This delectable cheesecake is sinfully rich.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 orange, zest of
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups extra-smooth ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Lightly coat or spray a 9- or 9 1/2-inch springform pan with oil.
- For crust:.
- Place 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor. Pulse to mix. Add butter. Pulse until small crumbs form. Turn into pan. Press firmly and evenly over bottom. (Don't worry about cleaning processor.)
- Bake crust in centre of preheated oven until lightly golden around edge, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan and reduce heat to 300F
- For filling:.
- Finely grate peel from orange. Cut cream cheese into chunks.
- Place in a food processor with ricotta and vanilla. Whirl until smooth, occasionally scraping down side of bowl.
- Add 1 cup sugar and whirl to mix. Add eggs, one at a time, whirling after each addition. Then add 3 tbsp flour and orange zest. Whirl just until evenly mixed.
- Scrape filling into a large bowl. Stir in chocolate, candied fruit mix and pistachios.
- Pour filling over warm base.
- Lay a piece of foil loosely overtop. Don't seal.
- Bake in centre of 300F oven until centre is slightly jiggly, 2 hours.
- Remove to a rack. Run a knife around outside edge of cake, but don't remove from pan. Cool in pan, then refrigerate at least 3 hours or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.
- If centre cracks, cover with orange slices or whipped cream and chopped pistachios, if you wish!
- Hint: if you cannot find the mixed chopped candied fruits and peel use diced candied cherries and pineapple.