1/1 Photo of Cassata Cake
12 hrs 45 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Kevin Ryan at allrecipes.com. Be sure to use whole milk ricotta; the low-fat versions are thinner and will result in a soupy filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, plus extra for flouring the pans
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Frosting and garnish
- 1Line a fine-mesh strainer with a double layer of wet cheesecloth. Put the ricotta in a strainer and set it over a bowl. Fold the cheesecloth over the top of the ricotta. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to overnight. Discard the whey which collects in the bowl.
- 2In a stand mixer outfitted with the paddle attachment, beat the confectioners' sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate chips into the thickened ricotta on low speed until well combined. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- 3Preheat the oven to 325°F Grease and flour two 9" cake pans.
- 4Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 5Separate the eggs and set the whites aside. In the bowl of the stand mixer, beat the yolks until very thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Gradually add the cold water, then the sugar. Beat well until sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla extract, then slowly add the sifted flour.
- 6Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the batter carefully. Divide batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- 7Bake in preheated oven 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
- 8Place the remaining sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature, then stir in the rum.
- 9Split the cake layers horizontally, to make 4 thin layers. Place one layer on a cake board or plate and drizzle or brush with rum syrup. Top with 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the filling. Place another cake layer on top, and repeat until all four layers have been placed.
- 10In a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand five minutes. Microwave in 10 second intervals until gelatin is just dissolved, stirring after each interval. If it boils, throw it out and start over.
- 11Whip cream with confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Add melted gelatin and whip until stiff peaks form.
- 12Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Press sliced almonds all around the sides of the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cassata Cake
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 631.4
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 170.4 mg
- Sodium 174.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 15.3 g