Recipe by Petdrwife
This is a wonderful cake that I was only introduced to five years ago when moving to the Great Lakes region of our beautiful country. My husband requested it for his birthday and instead of just ordering it from the local grocer I decided to try my hand and making it, after all I knew the ingredients....so here it is!
- 1 yellow cake (half sheet) or 1 white cake (half sheet)
- 16 ounces strawberries (fresh or frozen, sliced)
- 13 1⁄2 ounces strawberry glaze
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Make custard filling by placing granulated sugar, flour and salt in medium sauce pan. Add milk and cook over medium heat till thick and bubbly (be careful not to scortch).
- Temper egg yolks by adding some of the hot mixture to the beaten egg yolks and then returning the egg yolk mixture to the hot mixture whisking till blended. Cook mixture another five minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and refrigerate mixture till completely cool.
- Stir together the sliced strawberries and strawberry glaze, keep refrigerated till ready to use.
- Cut the half sheet cake in half to make two-quarter sheet cake layers approximately 1" thick. Best to freeze these cake layers before working with the filling and frosting to prevent them from breaking apart.
- Place bottom layer of cake on platter or cake tray.
- Stir the cooled custard and spread on the bottom layer of cake making sure to leave about half inch from outside all the away around (when layers are put together the filling will spread out to the ends and if filling is spread all the way to outside it will ooze out).
- Spread the strawberry glaze filling on top of the custard filling.
- Place the other cake layer on top of the fillings. Keep refrigerated till ready to ice the cake.
- For icing, beat the whip cream until frothy.
- Add the powder sugar and vanilla gradually and beat until frosting consistency.
- Ice the cake to your liking and keep cake refrigerated.