Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious blend of flavors. I found two recipes each with stuff I liked and disliked, so I blended them together.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup light sour cream (could also use nonfat for even fewer calories)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (more if you like your food spicy)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tablespoon clove
- 1⁄4 tablespoon nutmeg
- preheat oven to 250°F.
- Wrap corn tortillas in foil and place in oven.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to skillet.
- Cook, stirring often, until brown and no longer pink in the middle.
- Drain fat, if any, and add salsa, chicken broth, peanut butter, baking cocoa, and spices.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas and light sour cream.
- I always serve this with Spanish rice as well.
This recipe was ok, but there was too much of some spices. I wonder if 1/4 tablespoon is supposed to be 1/4 teaspoon, etc.
I tried this recipe for my husband who loves chicken mole. Other recipes I'd seen for it had over 20 ingredients for the sauce, so I was excited to try one that looked much easier! I should say I do not particularly care for mole sauce. Unfortunately, neither my husband nor I cared for this recipe. My husband thought maybe it was the combination of peppers in the salsa I used, and it not being sweet enough. He did say it tasted like some of the canned mole sauces he had tried. We could not "doctor" it enough to make it work for us.
I let my husband taste test between this recipe and a store bought version. He chose this, and it was still so easy to prepare. Very good.