Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I need to make these for my dad this xmas.
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup minced minced roasted salted cashews
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and almond extract until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt; stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended. Stir in cashews (if mixture is crumbly, squeeze into a smooth, compact ball).
- Divide dough in half; flatten each portion into a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap each disk airtight and freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured board, with a floured rolling pin, roll dough, a portion at a time, to 3/16 inch thick.
- With a floured 3-inch star-shaped cutter, cut out cookies (if dough becomes too soft to handle, freeze briefly until firm again).
- With a wide spatula or your fingers, transfer cookies to buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Gather scraps, pat into a ball, and repeat rolling and cutting.
- Bake cookies in a 300° oven until golden, 15 to 18 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release, let stand on sheets to firm up, about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Dust cookies with remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.