Recipe by Impera_Magna
Molly Katzen (author of the legendary "Moosewood Cookbook") has a food column in my daily paper in which this recipe appeared shortly before the Christmas holidays. I made these and they were so good! The perfect treat for afternoon tea (or coffee)!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup finely minced cashews
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (plus extra for handling the dough)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and sugar; beat at high speed for appx 3 minutes with electric mixer.
- Stir in cashews.
- Sift flour, salt, & baking powder directly into the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix the dough as quickly and efficiently as possible; form into a rough ball.
- Lightly flour a clean, dry work surface; add dough and roll out to appx 1/4" thick.
- Cut into simple shapes and place them on ungreased cookie sheet. (I cut them into diamonds, similar to bakalava -- didn't want to over-work the dough by re-rolling).
- Bake in center of oven for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.