Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Molly Katzen (author of the legendary "Moosewood Cookbook") has a food column in my daily paper in which this recipe appeared shortly before the Christmas holidays. I made these and they were so good! The perfect treat for afternoon tea (or coffee)!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup finely minced cashews
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (plus extra for handling the dough)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and sugar; beat at high speed for appx 3 minutes with electric mixer.
- Stir in cashews.
- Sift flour, salt, & baking powder directly into the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix the dough as quickly and efficiently as possible; form into a rough ball.
- Lightly flour a clean, dry work surface; add dough and roll out to appx 1/4" thick.
- Cut into simple shapes and place them on ungreased cookie sheet. (I cut them into diamonds, similar to bakalava -- didn't want to over-work the dough by re-rolling).
- Bake in center of oven for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
These cookies are delicious. My family has them weekly. My 14 year old shares them at sleepovers, and kids come over just to take them home. Thank you so much.