Mrs Marcy D's Note:
My uncle, who's a retired chef, made this for his wife. She loved it so much, she asked him to make it for the entire family. And WE loved it so much, we've been passing the recipe around now for a decade. This is a family of salad-lovers, so something just a little bit 'different' at the dinner table was welcomed. There's something about the combination of flavors & textures that just WORKS. The list of ingredients is not only short; but also, extremely inexpensive and easy to prepare AND find. Serve with a grilled chicken breast for a more complete meal. But be sure to use romaine lettuce (or a kind of lettuce even "sturdier") so it holds up to the 'marinating' process. Iceberg lettuce does not work well in this recipe. Also- prep time is 40 minutes, but 30 of those minutes are accounted into the marination. Only about 10 to actually prep. Hope you enjoy it as much as our family does! (P.S. Serving sizes vary- depending on whether the salad's being used as a main course or side.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bunches romaine lettuce, washed & dried, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 (9 ounce) can cashew pieces
- 4 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1Combine vegetable oil; vinegar, sugar; mustard; celery seed; salt & pepper in a mason jar (or container) and shake well. Set aside.
- 2After lettuce is washed & dried -- chop into bite size pieces. Combine with can of cashews, & shredded Swiss cheese.
- 3Pour dressing over salad 30 minutes before serving. Toss well, so all lettuce is coated. (I never have used full amount of dressing, as I don't care for my salads to be all "soggy." I usually save the remainder of dressing for a marinade or to dress a salad later in the week. It's a great sweet 'n sour type-dressing!).
- 4Let set in fridge for 30 minutes; toss again well, and serve.
- 5*Optional: I have some family members who will dice up a hard-boiled egg to serve on top. I don't care for it that way, but you may.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cashew Salad With Sweet 'n Sour Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (611 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2374.1
- Calories from Fat 1590
- Total Fat 176.6 g
- Saturated Fat 57.5 g
- Cholesterol 198.7 mg
- Sodium 726.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 128.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 67.8 g
- Protein 86.9 g