Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from "The Frantic Mother Cookbook" This is the funniest cookbook I've ever read. If you ever come across it definitely pick it up!!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups salted cashews
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Brown 1 cup brown rice and 1 chopped onion in 3/4 cube of butter or margarine. Add 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon and 3 cups water.
- Bring to to a boil and simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in 1 can salted cashew nuts and 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Heat through.
Tasty-- it didn't state if the coconut should be sweetened or not, so I used sweetened. When getting ready to add the cashews and coconut, I just couldn't add 2 cups of cashews-- it would have been way too much. I used 1 cup cashews and 1/3 cup coconut-- and will use just 1/4 cup coconut next time. The family ate it and enjoyed it. (the "3/4 cube of butter" in the directions threw me off- and I used 3/4 of a stick-- which is not 2 tbls. I was going to rate it lower for having too much butter, but realized my error. 2 tbls of butter would be just right)